Operations & Maintenance Solar Technician
Arch O&M seeks a skilled and motivated Solar PV O&M Technician to join our team. You’ll be responsible for ensuring safe and efficient solar PV system operation, maximizing energy production, and minimizing downtime. Your expertise and attention to detail is crucial in maintaining and troubleshooting solar PV systems to ensure optimal performance. O&M technicians routinely travel throughout the Midwest, with some traveling by airline to maintenance locations in the US. We also offer electrical apprenticeships.
Position Title – O&M Solar Technician
Wages – Hourly ($20 – $55 experience-dependent)
Fair Labor Standards Act Status – Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Travel – Approximately 75%, with accommodation and per diem provided.
REQUIREMENTS & PRINCIPAL DUTIES
- Troubleshoot PV system performance issues. Locate and isolate faults.
- Troubleshoot PV system communication issues. Locate and isolate faults.
- Conduct corrective maintenance – solar panel replacement, inverter replacement, and communication problems.
- Commission PV systems to include testing such as IR scans, IV curve trace, torque checks, and visual inspections.
- Coordinate warranty RMA process.
- Provided detailed reports via Arch O&M software and standard practices to establish a detailed work record.
- Educate customers by answering questions regarding system performance and repairs. Customer education is a core value for Arch O&M, so your ability to communicate with a customer is critical to success.
- Stop unsafe work, report, and correct unsafe conditions or hazards.
- Provide feedback to sales/design/install teams for best practice improvement.
- Operate and maintain company vehicles, mobile equipment and/or tools.
- Valid Driver’s license; Class A CDL a plus.
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and a positive attitude.
- Appetite to learn, think out of the box, and ability to quickly adapt to change.
- Strong understanding of solar PV design, installation, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to read basic electrical one-line, plot plan drawings, and use manufacturer technical manuals.
- Excellent cooperative skills – fostering a positive team environment through collaborative decision-making.
- Demonstrate honesty and trustworthiness in work relationships.
- Strong computer skills, Microsoft Suite
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma.
- Practical knowledge of electrical systems, solar electric systems, and their components.
- Experience using IR cameras and drones.
- Networking background or basic understanding, including installing and configuring routers, Wi‐Fi adapters, repeaters, hardwiring, Ethernet adapters, and web monitoring equipment.
- We are willing to provide training, should the right candidate come along.
- Mostwork is performed outside in hot and cold temperatures, and various types of weather conditions and tools and equipment are utilized.
- Position entails climbing stairs, working at heights (possibly several times per shift), standing for long periods, operating objects, tools, or controls, reaching with hands and arms, lifting heavy objects up to 50 pounds (25 kg) overhead, and 75 pounds (35 kg) from the floor to 36 inches (1 meter).
- Solar site environment includes exposure to hazards associated with high-temperature equipment and systems, gas, low/medium/high voltage electricity, confined spaces, power, and hand tools, dust; maybe regularly subject to external environmental conditions such as cold, heat, dust, snow and noise from equipment.
- Noise levels are moderately loud and may vary throughout the site.
- May require working shift hours, overtime, and irregular hours as needed to support the reliable operation of the facility. From time to time, the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements.
The authority will be determined as job skills and requirements are assessed.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
The job performance of the O&M Technician will be determined by Managers as well as a company-wide peer review.